Question - What do you mean by advertising regulation? Also write a note on advertising self-regulation.
Advertising Regulations in different countries
- United States - False advertising and health related ads are regulated most.
- Sweden and Norway - Domestic ads that target children are prohibited.
- Some European Countries don't allow sponsorship of children programs, no ads are targeted to children under the age of twelve.
- United Kingdom - Tobacco ads on television, bill boards, or at sporting events is banned.
- India - Alcohol and Tobacco ads are banned.
The word 'Self' refers to the actor. Here the actor can be a company or a group of companies acting collectively. 'Regulation' refers to what the actor is doing. Regulation has three components:-
- Legislation - to define appropriate rules,
- Enforcement - igniting actions against violators,
- Adjudication - decision on violation and and imposing an appropriate sanction.